Maynard Special Education PAC Officers
|Maynard High School Parent Representative:
|Fowler School Parent Representative:
|Green Meadow Parent Representative:
|Public Outreach Coordinator:
The mission of the Maynard Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SEPAC) is to work for the understanding of, respect for, and support of all children with special needs in the community. You can download our brochure by clicking on the link at the bottom of this page.
What is a SEPAC?
Massachusetts Special Education Regulations state that each school committee shall establish a Special Education Parent Advisory Council (PAC) on Special Education. A SEPAC is a formally organized group of individuals committed to the best possible services for children with special needs. A SEPAC:
- Promotes a network of parents and forum to share information
- Advises the school district on special education programs, training needs, and policy
- Promotes communication between PAC members; local, state and national organizations, councils and groups
- Promotes understanding, acceptance and inclusion within the community
- Provides informational forums for parents, students, educators, and professionals
Who Should join the SEPAC?
- Parents and/or guardians of children who receive any type of special education services or accommodations in school, such as an Individualized Education Program (IEP), a 504 accommodation, or out-of-district placement.
- Parents who think their child may have some learning issues or differences.
- Parents who would like to understand or have an interest in the Special Education process.
- Parents, educators, or any members of the community who want to learn more!
Why Get Involved?
- To network with other parents in the community.
- To share your own expertise and experiences with other parents.
- To learn about the services available for children with learning issues or differences.
- To learn to advocate for your child's needs more effectively.
When are the Meetings?
Maynard SEPAC meetings are held in the the Fowler School Library from 7:00 pm to 8:45 pm on the 1st Tuesday of each month.
To attend or for more information on meeting topics, contact one of the officers or parent representatives. We welcome and need your participation!
How do I Join?
To join the Maynard SEPAC, contact your school's parent representative, listed below.
The SEPAC is searching for additional parents to participate in the new SEPAC Sub-Committees: Meeting Planning, Public Relations, andFundraising.
A committee member would be considered a SEPAC board member,and would be asked to attend SEPAC board meetings to determine thedirection of the SEPAC and what activities the SEPAC participates in (bi-monthly).
The Meeting Planning Committee is responsible for researchingand choosing our guest speakers and handling all arrangements for thespeaker to attend, such as information on the speakers, content of theirpresentation, handouts and flyers and ensuring that materials are availablein a timely manner to the Public Relations Committee for Advertising andpromotion purposes.
The Public Relations Committee is responsible for advertisingour meetings locally (newspapers, school newsletters, websites/list-serves) andpromoting the SEPAC within our community through school open houses, schoolcommittee meetings, other school sponsored events, town events, promotionalmaterials, and other ways to promote visibility and other opportunities forSEPAC.
The Fundraising Committee is responsible for looking atfundraising opportunities for the SEPAC and what these funds would best beutilized for from year to year. Opportunities such as applying for grants,seeking donations, possibly working with other school organizations and/orofficials on fundraising and determining special education, training, orregular education needs as they relate to students with disabilities orlearning differences.
You may also join the Maynard SEPAC Public Discussion group on Yahoo by going to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/maynardspedpac/
To receive emails about upcoming SEPAC events and other local special education events, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and type "SEPAC list-serve" in the subject line.