Green Meadow News
January 8, 2014 Donna Dankner, Principal
Debbie Bresnick, Assistant Principal
Happy New Year to all! Monday was an exciting day at school as the students and staff returned from the winter break, ready to continue with their learning. We would like to welcome Lisa Boardman, special educator, as she returns from her maternity leave. We thank Laura Refrigeri for her work with our students in this role since September.
With the arrival of the New Year, we begin the process of preparing for the next school year. An important step in this process is kindergarten registration, when we welcome our new kindergarten families into the Green Meadow Community. Kindergarten registration will be held on Tuesday, January 13th, Wednesday, January 14th and Thursday, January 15th from 9-12:00. Evening registration will be held on Wednesday, January 14th from 5-7 PM. Registration packets are available in the office if you would like to complete the forms in advance. Birth certificate, proof of residency, physical and immunization records are needed to complete the registration process. The EXCEL program will be holding its fall kindergarten registration next week as well. If you have an incoming kindergarten student, we look forward to seeing you at registration. Also, please share this information with friends and neighbors who may have kindergarten age students so we can be certain to include them in our planning for the 2015-2016 school year.
Our next parent coffee will be held on Wednesday, January 21 at 8:45 AM. We will be exploring complexities and challenges in a discussion about “Fostering Friendships.” We hope you are able to join us to share ideas and questions on this important topic.
With the arrival of winter, the snow may not be far behind. In the event of a school cancellation or delay due to inclement weather, the information will be shared on WBZ television, radio, and internet as well as on the school and district website. For delayed openings, the daily schedule will be as follows:
· 9:30-2:50 for a one hour delay
· 10:00-2:50 for a 90 minute delay
· 10:30-2:50 for a 2 hour delay
In response to the cold weather this week, we are implementing a temporary change in the arrival process. For this week only, we will have all students enter the building through the front door as soon as they arrive. Staff members will then direct them to their grade level indoor arrival locations. This will minimize the time outside on these cold mornings. On Monday, we will return to our regular arrival process. Teachers have shared this information with their classes as well. We want to keep everyone warm on these cold days!
News from Mr. Thomas’ Class
Mr. Thomas and his 3rd grade class had a nice vacation and have returned to school ready to learn all that they can. In math we are working on multiplication and learning how to apply different strategies to solve harder multiplication facts. One of the strategies we recently learned was related to doubling. If you learn the facts for multiplying by 2’s by can double the products to find the products for the 4’s. The same thing applies when working with the 3’s and 6’s, 4’s and 8’s and 5’s and 10’s. We have also been playing some math games to work on developing our multiplication facts.
Over the month prior to vacation the third graders worked on matter in science. This has continued in 2015 and we spent a few days during our first week back learning about electromagnets. We tested out different types of batteries to see how the strength of an electromagnet could change. We will soon be shifting gears back to social studies once our science unit is done.
We began a new writing unit this week, and the students are now in the development stage of writing essays. The 3rd graders will be developing thesis statements and coming up with several supporting details to prove their thesis statement. These opinion pieces will be much shorter than the personal narratives and realistic fiction writing we did during our first two writing units of the school year. We are looking forward to the remainder of our time together at Green Meadow.
News from Mrs. Lawton’s Class
Happy New Year from Mrs. Lawton’s class! We are excited about the New Year and all that it has to bring. We look forward to getting back into the swing of our routine and continuing our math and Fundations work. We are jumping into maps and will be sharing where our gingerbread people went on our holiday break. We will be learning about the map of Maynard and discussing some of the landmarks where we took our gingerbread. We will even incorporate our adventures into writer’s workshop. We hope everyone stays warm with this lovely New England weather we are experiencing right now! Brr…
· If you are shopping online, please help support the Maynard Education Foundation (MEF) by participating in the AmazonSmile program. Go to smile.amazon.com and select the Maynard Education Foundation as your charitable organization. Amazon will donate .5% of the purchase price to MEF. Proceeds will benefit MEF's grant program for teachers, administrators and students. Since 2000 MEF has supported innovative grants that enrich the Maynard Public Schools. Over the years we have heard from countless teachers how MEF has made a difference to the students of Maynard. Thank you for your support!
· Preschool Information Night - The Green Meadow Preschool Program will be holding an Information Night on Thursday, January 15, 2015 from 6:45 – 8:00 PM. Parents who are interested in enrolling their child for the 2015-2016 school year are invited to attend. During the evening parents will have an opportunity to learn about our program, meet our staff, visit our classrooms, and ask questions. The Green Meadow Preschool Program offers preschool for children 3 – 5 years old. The snow date for Information Night will be January 29, 2015. For more information call the Maynard Public Schools Department of Student Services @ (978) 897-2138.
Dates to Remember
January 13,14,15 Kindergarten Registration, 9-12 AM
Wednesday, January 14 Evening Kindergarten Registration, 5-7 PM
January 15 Preschool Information Night
Friday, January 16 Early Release, 11:45 Dismissal
Monday, January 19 No School, Martin Luther King Day
Wednesday, January 21 Parent Coffee, 8:45 AM