Green Meadow News
September 29, 2016 Donna Dankner, Principal
Debbie Bresnick, Assistant Principal
Today was picture day at Green Meadow School. Students anxiously waited for their class to visit the gym for their individual portraits. Many members of the PTO joined us to assist with the management and organization of the day. Special thanks to all the dedicated volunteers for their support throughout the day.
We were delighted to see so many parents during our annual Back To School Curriculum Night. We appreciate the opportunity to share information, focusing on classroom expectations, daily routines, curriculum, and instruction. The classroom presentations reflected the richness of the curriculum and the enthusiasm toward learning that is evident throughout every school day. We also appreciate this opportunity to connect with parents, establishing a strong partnership that supports student learning. Each school year is filled with learning and growth. We look forward to sharing your child’s journey as a learner with you.
During the evening you may have met some of our new staff members. They are excited to be part of the Green Meadow Community. Our new staff members were so impressed with the commitment and involvement of the Green Meadow families in each child’s education. They felt warmly welcomed to the community by both the students and families and look forward to a wonderful year at Green Meadow School. In addition to our new staff, we would like to welcome back Karen Kanter who returns to us as our Special Education Team Chair.
Despite our hope for summer to remain with us throughout the year, the weather has begun to turn colder. Mornings are often cool while afternoons often become warmer. Please send your child to school with layers that will prepare them for the range of temperatures that occur each day. The students are truly enjoying every opportunity for outdoor recess during this beautiful fall weather.
We are eagerly anticipating our first Parent Coffee of the school year which will be held on Tuesday, October 18 at 8:45. Jennifer Gaudet, Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction, and Carol Gahan, Director of Student Services will join us for an informal conversation. Please join us to share your thoughts and ideas as we discuss curriculum, instruction and supports for students in our schools. This Parent Coffee is the first in a series on a range of topics that will be held throughout the school year. Please mark your calendars with the dates listed in the Green Meadow at A Glance that you received at the beginning of the year and join us for these informative discussions.
News from Mrs. Krasinski’s Class:
Mrs. Krasinski’s class is so excited to start their adventure in Kindergarten at Green Meadow. We are getting to know one another and becoming acclimated with the school. We are looking forward to learning our letters and sounds in the upcoming weeks. In math, we just completed our first unit on numbers! We are becoming quite the authors and illustrators in writing workshop! It has been a great start to the new school year!
From Ms. Mara’s Class:
We have enjoyed getting to know all our new friends. We are working very hard to establish routines and begin our second grade work. In math we have been practicing a new math fact strategy called “capture and count”. One of our favorite math games is “dice toss”. We have read some wonderful stories and are writing personal narratives. After reading What the Sea Left Behind by Mimi Gregoire Carpenter, we were inspired to sketch like scientists and paint like artists. The result was a collection of beautiful watercolors that we hung up in our classroom. We are looking forward to a fantastic second grade year!
Special Notes About Arrival and Dismissal:
· The animal control officer has reminded us that dogs may not be on the school grounds. For the safety of all and being aware that some children may be fearful of dogs, please do not bring dogs to arrival and dismissal.
· Please park in the Crowe Park Parking lot when dropping off or picking up students.
· Deadline for GM Spiritwear orders is Friday, September 30. Don't miss out on showing your Tiger pride and order today! Order forms are in backpack folders or order online atgmeadow.itemorder.com.
· VENDORS NEEDED for 1st annual PTO Vendor Night! Join us Thursday, November 3rd from 6:30-8:00 pm for this excellent selling opportunity! Table reservations are only $25.00 and a raffle donation is required. Don't miss out on this opportunity to expand your home based business and participate in this unique community shopping event. Table reservations from members of the Green Meadow community will be taken until October 6th, after which reservation requests will be open to the general public. Please direct all questions and reservation requests to email@example.com.
GM has a Japanese memory garden in the inner
courtyard that was created decades ago, and plants and trees have been planted
over the years in memory of students and staff. The garden is in the need of
TLC and we need families help. Please
lend a hand on Saturday,
October 15 anytime between 1:00 - 3:00 to help rake leaves and pull weeds so
we can bring this beautiful spot back to life. Bring your own rake and we will
provide the rest. Sign up using the link below to join your fellow Green Meadow
families for this special community service day.
· Reminder: Maynard SEPAC Parent Pizza Party on 10/4 - You're invited to the Parent Social Pizza Party in the Fowler School library. The parent social begins at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, October 4th. If you've been curious about what the SEPAC does, or want to learn more about the Special Education program in Maynard, come and join us for some delicious pizza! Please RSVP to KarenHeath4@gmail.com or call 978-394-6183. Free and open to the public.
Dates to Remember
Thursday, Sept. 29 Picture Day – for students during school
Friday, Sept. 30 Early Release – 11:45 Dismissal
Friday, Sept. 30 Spiritwear Orders due
Monday, Oct. 10 No School, Columbus DayWednesday, Oct. 19 PTO Meeting 7:00-8:15 PM