Green Meadow News
September 27, 2012 Donna Dankner, Principal
Christopher Fleming, Assistant Principal
This week we have begun implementing a change in the morning arrival for students in kindergarten through grade three. Rather than waiting inside the building for school to begin, we are working toward a procedure that will enable all students to play outside (weather permitting) beginning at 8:05 each morning. Students will gather by grade level in designated areas to connect and play with friends prior to the beginning of the school day. Providing this opportunity for outdoor play in the morning will support student learning and enhance friendships.
This week we have begin the process by having first and second grade students on the playground in the morning under the supervision of the staff. During this time we have been refining the procedures as we prepare to extend the process to all students. Our next step will be to include the third grade and finally the kindergarten. This process will continue over the next few weeks.
Once completely implemented, the newly established morning procedure will be as follows:
- At 8:05, students will exit the bus and join their grade level in the designated area. Kindergarten, first, and second grade students will meet at the playground in the front of the school. Grade three students will proceed to the open area near the third grade doors.
- Students who are brought to school by their families will go directly to the designated area for their grade.
- Students will place their backpacks and belongings in the designated area for their class to line up prior to beginning to play.
- Students who arrive for breakfast will go to the cafeteria first and then, time permitting, join their class outside.
- All other students will meet their grade level at the designated area after 8:05.
- Around 8:15, students will be asked to line up by grade level. Numbers and teachers’ names will be posted to indicate where each class will line up to enter the school.
- Supervising teachers will direct students inside to their classrooms.
In order to ensure safety for all:
- We are not able to not allow siblings to play in the designated area for classes.
- Only the adults supervising students should be in the area during this time.
- In the case of inclement or icy conditions, students will have an indoor arrival procedure.
- All students should come to school wearing their outdoor play clothing and shoes.
- Students should not arrive at school prior to 8:05 as there is no supervision available.
As with any new initiative, we are interested in your feedback. We welcome your thoughts and ideas to help us make this new process a successful experience for all.
News from Mrs. Vasta’s Preschool Class
It's hard to believe that we have been in school for four weeks already - and we have done so much in that short time! We began the school year familiarizing ourselves with the faces and names of our new friends and we have already gone on our first field trip to Honey Pot Hill Orchard. This week, in keeping with our theme, we have been learning about "where apples come from", estimating how many apples in a basket, investigating what is inside an apple, and we had an apple "taste test" to find which apples friends like the best - red, yellow, or green. As we continue into the month of October we will be focusing on "Fall Leaves" and "Pumpkins" which will lead us right up to our Halloween Parade on October 30th. Before you know it November will be here and it will be time for our Preschool Art Show. It will be an exciting day for parents to come and explore the classroom and enjoy their children's artistic creations. As you can see there is a lot to look forward to in preschool!
Mrs. Foss’ Grade 2 Class
Mrs. Foss’ class has had a busy start to the school year. This week we are working to publish our first piece of writing in Writing Workshop. We will celebrate what wonderful authors we are, with a publishing party on Friday. In math we have learned about all the different ways to make 10. Students have engaged in fun activities in order to show their thinking. They have also enjoyed playing games that reinforce the skill of 10. In science we are looking forward to Erika Whitworth’s visit, a scientist from the Audubon Society, next week to teach us about identifying leaves and trees!
- Please do not bring dogs to school to pick up or drop off students. There are students who are fearful of dogs as well as those with allergies who are concerned by the dogs on school groups. We appreciate your assistance in making arrival and dismissal safe for all.
- We may be in need of additional lunch/recess monitors as well as substitutes for this time. Please contact the office if you are interested.
- The Maynard Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SEPAC) invites you for a presentation on Special Education Basic Rights presented by Clare Vann of the Federation for Children with Special Needs. This event is co-hosted with Acton SEPAC and will be held on Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 7-9pm at the Acton Jr. High library, 16 Charter Road, Acton, MA. The Basic Rights workshop provides families with an introduction to their rights and responsibilities under: •Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) •Massachusetts Special Education Law and No Child Left Behind (NCLB).This event is free and open to the public. Please contact Jennifer O’Leary with any questions at email@example.com 978-897-2705.
- Picture Day is on October 4th. . Order forms have been sent home. Parent Volunteers are needed to help with the management of the Green Meadow Picture Day from 8:30 am until 2:30 PM on Thursday, October 4th. Please email Jennifer Ehlers at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to lend a hand and the hours you are available for that day.
- The Enrichment Committee is a Sub Committee of the Green Meadow PTO. Parent volunteers on the committee work with teachers and administration to evaluate and schedule quality enrichment programs and opportunities for our students. We are in need of members for this committee for the 2012/2013 school year as well as a chair. Please contact Michelle Grace at email@example.com for more information or if you would like to be a part of this team.
- Kick Off PTO Meeting - The Green Meadow PTO will hold its first meeting of the year on Tuesday, October 9th in the Green Meadow cafeteria. Please come join us to learn about our 2012/2013 Programs!
- Spirit Sale Order Forms are due on Friday, September 28th. Please submit your order along with payment (checks made payable to GMPTO) to the school office.
Dates to Remember:
v October 4, 2012 Picture Day
v October 5, 2012 STAR / Title 1 Open House 8:30-9:30
v October 5, 2012 Early Release 12:30
v October 8, 2012 No School, Columbus Day
v October 12, 2012 Grade 3 trip to Plymouth Plantation
v October 15, 2012 School Council Meeting, 6:30 PM
v October 19, 2012 Early Release 12:30