Green Meadow News
September 24, 2015 Donna Dankner, Principal
Debbie Bresnick, Assistant Principal
It was wonderful to see so many parents during our Curriculum Night last week. We appreciated the opportunity to share information about curriculum initiatives and classroom instruction. This program allows us to share with you your child’s school experience.
One important initiative is our Collaboration with the Massachusetts Audubon Society as we develop curriculum integrating science and nature. On August 31, the Green Meadow staff participated in a professional day led by educators from the Audubon Society. We focused on inquiry based learning, teaching students to learn through questioning, discovery, and collaboration. We also collaborated as grade level team on identifying critical concepts and curriculum development. This informative day served as the basis for our year long collaboration. This week the teacher leaders met with these same consultants to continue the planning process. We identified areas of focus, curriculum topics, resources, and support specific for each grade level team to maximize the learning for all. Going forward the consultants will model lessons, consult with grade level teams, and provide professional support in the development of curriculum. We are very excited about this partnership and they way in which we will be able to incorporate our natural environment in student learning.
Each year we enjoy meeting with families through a series of parent coffees focused on a range of topics. Our first parent coffee of the year will be held on Wednesday, October 14 at 8:45. We will be joined by our new Curriculum Director, Jennifer Gaudet. We will have an opportunity to discuss curriculum initiatives and spend some time with questions. We hope you will be able to join us to welcome our new Curriculum Director and participate in this informative discussion. Dates for all future parent coffees are noted on the Green Meadow At A Glance Calendar that was sent home during the first week of school.
The beautiful weather encourages us all to spend more time outdoors. We enjoy seeing many families walking and bicycling to and from school. We will be adding a bicycle rack for bicycle storage during the day. The bicycle rack will be located near the walkway from Crow Park near Tiger Drive. Safety is always our primary concern. In order to ensure safety for all:
· Students may not ride bicycles to school unless accompanied by an adult.
· Walk bicycles as soon as you reach school grounds to ensure safety of all those walking.
· Have students wear bike helmets when riding bicycles.
It is important to note that bicycles left on the bike rack will not be monitored or watched during the school day. A lock is recommended to secure all bicycles during the school day.
News From Ms. Silberzweig’s Class
Happy fall y'all! We have had an exciting first couple of weeks in second grade. Students have been building community within our classroom and learning the routines of second grade. We are very excited for what lies ahead!
Arrival and Dismissal
Our students have quickly mastered the procedures for arrival and dismissal. We emphasize the importance of safety at these busy times of the day. Staff members are assigned to supervise students as they arrive and are dismissed each day. To ensure safety and proper supervision:
· During arrival, only students should be on the playground in the front of the building or on the side where the third grade students arrive.
· Students should not arrive at school prior to 8:15. Please contact the Excel program if you need an early arrival.
· A note should be sent to school with any changes in dismissal. Please do not send emails to teachers with dismissal changes during the day as they may not be seen. If we are not familiar with the person you have designated to pick up your child, we will ask for identification.
We appreciate your assistance and support in this process.
· The PTO is asking for parent volunteers to help out while students get their photos taken. We have several time slots still available for this special day. Anyone who volunteers needs to submit a CORI form to the office at least a couple of days before Oct 1. Please sign up either through this link: http://bit.ly/1QZIrsZ or by visiting the PTO's Facebook page at facebook.com/greenmeadowpto.
· A reminder: Green Meadow Spirit Wear is available for a sale through Friday, Oct 2. Forms were sent home in last week's backpack. This year you can order online at https://greenmeadow.itemorder.com or you can submit your form and a check made out to Green Meadow PTO.
Dates to Remember
Thursday, October 1 Picture Day
Friday, October 9 Early Release, 11:45 Dismissal
Wednesday, October 14 Parent Coffee With Jennifer Gaudet, Curriculum Director, at 8:45