We are all excited about our Service Day and Reading Celebration that will be held tomorrow. Based on the weather forecast, we expect a beautiful day to enhance our school environment and celebrate all the reading we have done during our reading challenge. We are anxiously awaiting the book count to see how close we came to reading 10,000 books as a school!
The schedule for the daily is tightly packed beginning with our service to our school community. The mulch has arrived for the third grade to enhance our gardens in the front of the building. Classrooms have been provided with trash bags and plastic gloves to aid us as we spruce up our school.
Following the service portion of our day, we will
· Celebrate the graduating seniors from Maynard High School as they walk around the bus circle in their caps and gowns.
· Rotate through a variety of exciting and engaging activities on the field
· Enjoy stories read by Mr. Mark from the Maynard Public Library.
· Enjoy an outdoor cookout and picnic in front of the school. Hot dogs and hamburgers will be available for purchase and the school lunch. There will be a vegetarian burger option as well. Students are also welcome to bring their own lunch from home and picnic outside with their classmates for lunch.
A few reminders for the day:
· Students are asked to wear a shirt in their grade level color if possible. The grade level colors are:
o Kindergarten Red
o Grade 1 Green
o Grade 2 Blue
o Grade 3 Yellow
· Please send all students in close toed shoes as they will be running and playing outside during the day. Sneakers are best for the planned activities.
A special day such as this takes enormous planning and requires the support of many staff and volunteers. Many thanks to the staff involved in the planning and management of all the activities. We also would like to thank the many family volunteers and students from Maynard High School who will be assisting us throughout the day. Your child will be anxious to share the details of this special experience will you at home!
The end of the school year is coming quickly. Wednesday, June 22 is the last day of school for all students this year. For our third grade students this day marks the conclusion of their Green Meadow experience and the beginning of their transition to Fowler School. We are so proud of their growth as learners and their emergence as caring and compassionate individuals. They are ready for this important next step in their education.
We have many exciting activities planned to celebrate their achievement. The third grade field day will be held on Friday, June 17. This event will be held rain or shine. During the last week of school, the third grade students will gather to share a DVD that highlights their experiences at Green Meadow School. For the culminating activity, we invite you to come to school on Wednesday, June 22 at 11:15 as our third graders take a final walk around the building as Green Meadow students. In order for all to see the third grade students and share this special moment, the students will march outside to see their families following the same process as the Monster March held each fall.
v Upon arriving at school, families should find a viewing spot outside and around the circle in the front of the school.
v The third grade will exit the building through the door by the kindergarten wing and walk down the side walkway and around the circle, following the same path as the Monster March.
v They will then reenter the building through the doors near the library and proceed to march around the school. All other students will be seated in the hallways to greet the third graders as they go by. Siblings will be able to see the third graders at this time.
v The third graders will then return to their classrooms for an opportunity to gather as a class for the final time, saying goodbye to their teachers and classmates.
v Once the third graders have reentered the school, we ask all families to meet them at the usual dismissal locations to ensure we can maintain safety and account for all students.
Everyone is looking forward to watching the third grade students take their special walk around the school. Hopefully the weather will cooperate for our celebration. If not, we will make appropriate adjustments. We look forward to this special opportunity to recognize their accomplishments and celebrate their many achievements.
· To maintain safety for all, please do not drive or park in the bus circle during arrival, dismissal, or school hours.
· The Boys & Girls Club will be closed Monday, June 20-24 for summer preparations.
· Shop local without ever leaving your house -- that's the basis of the Green Meadow PTO's newest fundraiser. You can shop at purehavenessentials.com/courtneylawton Please use party #153207 or www.mythirtyone.com/kbnekervis. These businesses are making one-of-a-kind products available for purchase on their individual websites, from May 24 through June 14.
· The Green Meadow PTO is holding board elections for the 2016/2017 school year on Tuesday, June 14, at 7 p.m. in the GM Cafeteria. The PTO is actively seeking interest in open positions, including president and vice president. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested or have any questions. Every parent/guardian in the GM community is welcome to attend the meeting.
· Enrollment for EXCEL April Summer Programs are open to Maynard students (current grades K-7). For information and registration go to : Maynard Public Schools, EXCEL- Before & After School
Dates to Remember
Friday, June 10 Green Meadow Service Day and Reading Celebration
Wednesday, June 15 Preschool End-of-Year Celebration
Friday, June 17, Grade 3 Field Day
Tuesday, June 21 Last Day of Preschool
Wednesday, June 22 Last day of school for Kindergarten through Grade 3