Green Meadow News
January 17, 2013 Donna Dankner, Principal
Christopher Fleming, Assistant Principal
Our first evening parent discussion, Friends and Foes, was very successful. We had an opportunity to explore the complexities of children’s friendships and answer questions. Through our discussion, everyone was able to share experiences and ideas to address all questions that were raised. We hope you are able to join us for our next parent discussion on Thursday evening, January 24 at 6:30. During this evening we would like to hear your thoughts, ideas, and experiences at Green Meadow, suggestions you have as we go forward, and other topics you would like to discuss. We hope you can join us for this special discussion.
During our early release time this year we are continuing our focus on differentiated instruction through literacy and math. Recently, kindergarten and first grade teachers worked with a literacy consultant who modeled lessons in classrooms and facilitated discussions about small group reading instruction. Second and third grade teachers will have the same opportunity in the next few weeks. Our math coach has been consulting with teachers and will be offering a course for teachers focusing on mathematical thinking and reasoning. As educators we are ongoing learners and are grateful for the opportunity to continuously discuss teaching and learning and explore new ideas as a way of enhancing the high quality instruction that occurs each day in our school.
News from Mrs. Duddy’s Grade 3 Class:
Exciting news in Mrs. Duddy’s third grade classroom! We have had the opportunity of having a real author visit our classroom. Nancy Matson (Ripley’s aunt), the author of The Boy Trapp, answered all of our questions about becoming an author. She discussed developing the plot, conflict and characters for her book, but the most exciting part of all is that she read aloud the ending to the story! What’s next? We are reading Unstoppable by Tim Green (Leah’s uncle). What a great way to “kick off” writing realistic fiction! Words cannot explain how excited the students are to begin writing their stories. Talk about making connections…..
From Mrs. Hazel - Physical Education...
This month in PE it’s everyone’s favorite….Gymnastics!! We are rolling, climbing, jumping and balancing! Third graders are attempting hand stands this year! Kindergarteners are learning how to forward roll. I have been documenting most of the fun we are having in the gym so check out the PE blog for pics, and of course stay tuned for the end of the year annual video! The kids love to see how they have grown over the course of the year and reminisce on the fun times in PE class.
Please remember that outdoor footwear CAN NOT be worn in the gym, so on PE days please be sure to pack a pair of sneakers in the backpack!!!! Thank you!
- 11th ANNUAL TASTE OF MAYNARD The Maynard Education Foundation (MEF) is excited to sponsor its 11th Annual Taste of Maynard on Sunday, March 3, 2013, 4 PM to 7 PM at the Maynard Lodge of Elks, 34 Powdermill Road, Maynard. Restaurants will be serving appetizer, entree and dessert delicacies from 4-6 PM; entertainment will continue until 7 PM. Every year, this is a “not to be missed” event, with the general public being encouraged to come and enjoy exceptional samples of food specialties from local food establishments in the Maynard, Acton, Stow, Concord, Hudson and Marlboro area. There will be a cash bar, entertainment by the local sensation "Shoot the Cat" and raffle/silent auction prizes. Tickets are available in advance for $30/adult, $5/child 5 and under, $10 ages 6-12 by calling Jim McCann (978) 897.3148, Trish Signet (978) 835.7379, Mary Brannelly (978) 764.5279 or at Middlesex Savings Bank, 17 Nason Street, Maynard or by visiting any of the three Maynard public school offices. Tickets may also be purchased by going to MEF’s website www.maynardeducation.org. Tickets will be available on a first come first serve basis at the door for $35/each. The Maynard Education Foundation’s mission is to financially support innovation in teaching for Maynard educators. Our goal is to create funds that will allow MEF to provide annual grants to teaching professionals. As we begin our 12th year, we have raised over $200,000 and have awarded grants totaling in excess of $140,000 to Maynard educators. These grants have been utilized for Innovation and Discovery endeavors that benefit Maynard children in the classroom. We specifically look for grants that will not only benefit the immediate children within a specific class but will become self-sustaining and benefit a much broader audience for years to come. It is crucial that our students be supported to increase their competitive advantage so they are prepared for the challenges of the twenty-first century. Purchase tickets now to this food extravaganza. Each year, it becomes more successful. You’ll have an opportunity to taste wonderful food selections from many local food establishments, visit with old and new friends and support the Maynard Education Foundation! Visit our website at www.maynardeducation.org.
- Thank you to all the parents and students who have been bringing in sneakers on PE day! Changing out of the winter boots and into sneakers helps to keep the gym floor safe, clean and in tact. And don't forget to check in on our PE Blog for information and curriculum details at http://greenmeadowpe.blogspot.com
- It's that time of year again to begin planning for the class projects. Each class will create a unique, painted project, which will be raffled off at the PTO Spring Auction. We need parent volunteers to help in three areas: sanding, priming and base coating the projects ("Project Prep"); going into the classrooms to help the children personalize the projects ("Classroom Helpers"); and putting on the finishing touches to create a themed masterpiece ("Project Embellishment"). If you would like to help in any of these areas, please go to the website below to sign up: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/60B0E48A5A72BA57-classroom EXCEL Programs- After school Programs
- Weather permitting, our students have some time to play outdoors as people arrive. Please send students to school wearing their boots and snow pants so they are warm and able to enjoy this time.
- Registration for after school programs at Green Meadow is open for the following programs; Art Adventures, Chess Wizards, French, Spanish, Engineering, Lego Engineering, Rhythm Kids-Drumming. Please call all Lois Cohen at 978-897-8021 for registration information.
- The Police have asked us to remind families not to park or drop off in the fire lane at the front of the building. The police will be issuing tickets to those parked in the fire lane.
- Save the Date for Green Meadow Spring Auction and Social 2013: Please come join us on the evening of April 27th, 2013 at the Maynard Elks for our Annual Spring Auction and Social. This event is a fun way to raise money for programs and supplies for our school and enjoy some time together as a Green Meadow community. More details to follow but please put it in your calendars!
Dates to Remember:
v January 15-17, 2013 Kindergarten Registration 9-12:00
v January 18, 2013 Early Release – 12:30 dismissal
v January 21, 2013 Martin Luther King Day – No School
v January 23, 2013 Evening Kindergarten Registration, 5-7 PM January 24, 2013 Parent Discussion, 6:30 PM