Green Meadow News
October 6, 2016 Donna Dankner, Principal
Debbie Bresnick, Assistant Principal
October is a busy month at Green Meadow School and throughout the district. Next week, during Fire Safety week, members of the Maynard Fire Department will be helping us extend our knowledge of fire safety. Each grade level will have an opportunity to attend an informative presentation for awareness and understanding on ways to keep everyone safe. Students have the opportunity to attend these presentations each school year, emphasizing the importance of the information and reinforcing what has been learned in previous years. This year, prior to these presentations, our third grade students, along with students throughout the state, will answer a short series of questions to help the presenters determine what students have learned about fire safety since kindergarten. Following these presentations your children may have information to share and may enjoy continuing this conversation with you at home.
There are some interesting and informative programs for parents scheduled this month that we hope you will be able to join. Please mark your calendars with these special events.
· On October 18 at 8:45 at Green Meadow School, Jennifer Gaudet, Assistant Superintendent, and Carol Gahan will join us for our first parent coffee of the school year. ( Our November parent coffee will feature a discussion of math with our Math Coach, Terri Morrison. More details to follow.)
· On October 19 from 6-7 PM at Fowler School, there will be a special opportunity for parents to learn about the elementary literacy and math instructional programs and supports in Kindergarten through Grade 5. Administrators and instructional coaches from both Fowler and Green Meadow will share information, resources, and offer suggestions on supporting students at home.
· On October 19 at 7:00 in the Green Meadow Cafeteria, the PTO will hold its monthly meeting sharing the many ways they support our school and providing opportunities for involvement.
· On October 27, from 7:30-9 PM at Fowler School, The Maynard Public Schools will host a discussion of the book Mindsets: The New Psychology of Success and its influence on education in our schools. This book focuses the concept that “Smarter is not something you are, but something you become,” reinforcing the power of believing in each individual’s potential for growth.
The month of October will conclude with our Annual Monster march on Friday, October 28 at 8:45.(Raindate, Monday, October 31). Specific information will be provided in the next newsletter.
News from Mrs. Mooradian’s Class:
We have been off to a great start in preschool! We have all enjoyed reuniting with former friends and making new friends. The next few weeks we will focus on a unit entitled ‘Trees’ where the children will explore the kinds of local trees, animals that live in trees, what foods come from trees, and the changing of trees in the four seasons. We are most excited this month as we begin visits to music, art, library and physical education classes and look forward to our ‘Monster March’.
What’s the Buzz in Mrs. Messina’s room: We have settled into an amazing third grade routine. Our class is beginning our Pilgrim unit in anticipation of our trip. Everyone is very excited!
· VENDORS NEEDED for 1st annual GM PTO Vendor Night! Join us Thursday, November 3rd from 6:30-8:00 pm for this excellent selling opportunity! Table reservations are only $25.00 and a raffle donation is required. Don't miss out on this opportunity to expand your home based business and participate in this unique community shopping event. Please direct all questions and reservation requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
· GM has a Japanese memory garden in the inner courtyard that was created decades ago, and plants and trees have been planted over the years in memory of students and staff. The garden is in need of TLC and we need families' help. Please lend a hand on Saturday, October 15 anytime between 1:00 - 3:00 to help rake leaves and pull weeds so we can bring this beautiful spot back to life. Bring your own rake and we will provide the rest. Sign up using the linkhttp://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080b4aadaa2da20-gmjapanese.
Dates to Remember
Monday, October 10 No School, Columbus Day
Tuesday, October 18 Parent Coffee 8:45 AM
Tuesday, October 18 Hockey Order Forms Due
Wednesday, October 19 Elementary Math and Literacy Presentation 6-7 PM at Fowler
Wednesday, October 19 PTO Meeting 7:00-8:15 PM
Thursday, October 27 Preschool Halloween Parade
Friday, October 28 Monster March 8:45 AM
Friday, October 28th Early Release – 11:45 Dismissal
Monday, October 31 Monster March Rain Date