Green Meadow News
October 13, 2016 Donna Dankner, Principal
Debbie Bresnick, Assistant Principal
We are eagerly preparing for the Monster March, a special fall tradition at Green Meadow School. This year the Monster March is scheduled for Friday, October 28 at approximately 8: 45 AM. Weather permitting, students will walk outside with their classes to the areas where families will be waiting to view the procession. We hope this early morning schedule will allow families to view the procession before beginning the day’s activities.
Please bring students to school at the regular arrival time to allow them to prepare for the march in their classrooms. Please note that students should arrive at school in their costumes to allow for this early start. We ask that scary or gruesome costumes as well as masks that depict violence not be brought to school. Students should leave all weapons, props and extra pieces of their costumes at home as they are easily lost or broken in school. Please be certain that students are able to walk a distance safely in their costumes.
Please review the following additional important information:
The excitement is evident as children and families prepare for this special event. We enjoy seeing the colorful costumes as well as the excitement of students and families as they march around the school. The creativity and enthusiasm of all enhances the enjoyment of the day. We hope you are able to join us for this special event.
News from Mrs. Vasta’s Class:
It's hard to believe that we have been in school for just about six weeks already - and we have done so much in that short time! We began the school year familiarizing ourselves with the faces and names of our new friends and learning about preschool rules and routines. This is the third week of our “Trees Study” and we have learned about the parts of a tree, who lives in trees, and what foods come from trees. We have been scientists and have begun “our tree” observations which we will continue to do throughout the year so we can record how our tree changes with the seasons. This month we will also be focusing on "pumpkins" which will lead us right up to our Halloween Parade on October 27th!
News from Mrs. Arcelay’s Art Room:
We have started the year with fun projects including Summertime Selfies, Name designs, The Dot and Maynard Tigers. We will soon begin studying the work of Laurel Burch and as the year progresses we will study Claude Monet, Marc Chagall, Piet Mondrian and more. I’m excited to start hanging all the gorgeous artwork in the building! There are several ways to keep informed about what creating: 1) Visit my blog at www.artatgreenmeadow.blogspot.com2) follow me on Instagram:@artatGM. If you have questions please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
The art room could use the following:
· Paper grocery bags with handles disinfectant or hand wipes
· Shoe boxes tissues
· Buttons hand sanitizer
· Old watch or clock parts
· Toilet paper and paper towel tubes
· Egg cartons
Looking forward to an amazing and creative year!
· Please join us for our first Parent Coffee of this school year on Tuesday, October 18 at 8:45 AM for an informative discussion with Jennifer Gaudet, Assistant Superintendent, and Carol Gahan, Director of Student Services.
· Please join us on Wednesday, October 19 at 6:00 at Fowler School for an informative discussion on the Elementary Math and Literacy Program for students in Kindergarten through Grade 5. Information will also be shared regarding the Maynard Public School Title 1 program.
· An email is being sent to all families with a link to a survey of communication practices and needs in the Maynard Public Schools. Please take a moment to complete this survey. A committee is forming this fall to propose suggestions for a communication plan with the goal of improving family and school partnerships. Your input is valued and will be used to help guide those conversations. If you are interested in serving on the committee, please email Jean LaBelle-Pierce at Maynard High School: email@example.com
· Join us for our 1st Annual PTO Vendor Night on November 3 from 6:30 - 8:00 to get a jump start on your holiday shopping! A variety of home based business and crafters will be there - plus a raffle table to win one of many prizes! Are you a vendor interested in reserving a table?
· Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
· Hockey Night at UMass Lowell is on November 5 at 7:00. Join families from GM and Fowler for a fun night out watching the UMass Lowell Riverhawks play UVM at the Tsongas Center in Lowell. Ticket order forms went out in backpacks last Thursday and are due Oct 18. Contact email@example.com with any questions.
Dates to Remember
Tuesday, October 18 Parent Coffee 8:45 AM
Tuesday, October 18 Hockey Order Forms Due
Wednesday, October 19 Elementary Math and Literacy Presentation 6-7 PM at Fowler
Wednesday, October 19 PTO Meeting 7:00-8:15 PM
Thursday, October 27 Preschool Halloween Parade
Friday, October 28 Monster March 8:45 AM
Friday, October 28th Early Release – 11:45 Dismissal
Monday, October 31 Monster March Rain Date
Thursday, November 3 Vendor Night GM Cafeteria 6:30-8:00 PM